In comment #6 I wrote:
> My random guess is that it's to do with gold_upkeep_style,
> which is set differently in civ2civ3 than classic.
>
> ISTR starting to look through the AI code and finding something
> which supported this guess, but I got distracted and now can't
> remember what it was.
Actually, on reflection, I think I didn't find any evidence for
gold_upkeep_style being the problem (although it appears to be contributing);
rather, I think I concluded that the AI was not really coping with having gold
upkeep for units at all. AIs that for whatever reason had found their way to a
non-gold-upkeep government like Communism had got much further in the tech
tree.