Right, I still use v2.5 to play my own games, where culture is not available,
and I'm not confident to introduce changes that affect gameplay until I can
test v2.6 better.
With this patch, culture would be just a statistical value, like military
service, or the other demographic info.

My idea was to wait until the values are well balanced and then to enable the
cultural victory, but I think such victory will always be much easier for the
human players than the AI.
I like your suggestion to add culture or achievements as requirement for some
other effect. In civ3 they use it for resistance against diplomatic actions,
and also for increased borders (preasure against enemy border). I'll see if
something similar is possible here.

I'll add a reference in the readme too.