What I was thinking when I raised this:

Goal: I want to start an all-AI game from the client, and watch it from that
client.

By default, the pregame UI (Gtk2 for concreteness) comes up with a game
containing a human player (me) and four AIs.

I try to absent myself from the game by right-clicking the line for myself and
selecting "Observe this player", but I run into the quoted check.

However:

Now that I come back to look at it, clicking the big "Observe" button (to
become a global observer) is probably more likely to be what someone trying to
do this would do; and that does work.