On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 06:02:33 PM Thue Janus Kristensen wrote:
> When I start a new game, MENUS debugging is not enabled. But if I save the
> game and load it again, MENUS debugging is enabled. That is caused by the
> following code in FreeColDebugger.java : setDebugModes(), which is called
> from readGame() :
>
>         if (optionValue == null || "".equals(optionValue)) {
>             enableDebugMode(DebugMode.MENUS);
>             return true;
>         }
>
> This seems very strange to me - why do this?

The representation of the debug mode has changed from a simple boolean, to a
number, to the present bitmap.  This has lead to some confusing code.  The
above is correct in effect at least with respect to the place in FreeCol.java
where it is called if the --debug option is set --- the intent is that empty
option values default to the MENUS functionality, which is the closest match
to the default behaviour back when debug mode was just a boolean.

However as you rightly point out, this does not make sense for the other place
setDebugModes is called, in readGame.  My mistake.  Fixed in git.200510c.

Cheers,
Mike Pope