I am struggling to get all the options displaying correctly and/or
consistently.  AFAICT as of the last patch they are working (across
preferences, difficulty, map options and game options), but without
descriptions of the String/SelectOption[1] values.  Currently the values
are looked up with Messages.message() which requires the base key
(e.g. "model.option.buildOnNativeLand.always") where I would rather
use the .name/.shortDescription form so as to be able to provide a
tooltip.  I had this working a patch or two back, but only by breaking
other options, which is a sign that I do not understand how this code
is supposed to work.  For now the .shortDescription strings are still
in FreeColMessages.properties but commented out.  How can this be made
to work?

[1] And while I am asking, is there are real useful difference between
a StringOption-with-choices and a SelectOption?  ISTM the former
should just become the latter.

Cheers,
Mike Pope