On Wed, 16 Apr 2014 07:23:03 +0200
Michael Vehrs <michael.bursc...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Was that ever fixed? I can't recall that happening.

You are right, it still happens in current games.  Its probably just more
obvious in the new tiles.

> That should probably wait until after the next release. I see a few
> problems to be solved. In principle, the tile style information should
> not go into the model, since it really only concerns the GUI. However,
> we save no persistent GUI information, yet. We also need to take into
> account that the number of available styles might vary from player to
> player and from time to time, depending on available mods, for example.
> Thus, it might be a good idea to map the tile id, or some combination of
> id and coordinates on the number of available tiles, e.g.
>
>    id.hashCode() % number_of_styles

That sounds good to me.  The mountains use (x + y) % number_of_styles, so
we even have some precedent.  Using hashCode is likely superior as I
expect it is less visually predictable.

> On the other hand, we need to determine the styles when the map is first
> displayed, which might be some work, especially if we decide to use
> multi-tile images, or images that depend on the style of neighbouring
> tiles.

That is where we are heading I suspect, and if so, I can see that getting
the corners right is not going to be easy.

Cheers,
Mike Pope