Michael I would advocate changing platform. Yes a redesign is what you want
to avoid but I think in a way its a good chance to give the website a face
lift.

I would advocate as well switching away from joomla to wordpress. Joomla
even the latest 3.3.x version I am running for a clients website is rather
complex and bit frustrating to use at times.

I could also code the website from scratch as well as make it responsive
for mobile devices using bootstrap etc. That really depends on how often
the content changes. If it does not change that often I would go for
something hand coded. If things change rather often I would go wordpress. I
have quite a vast know how of wordpress. The biggest question is where to
host it. I like sourceforge but in the past i have read of too many
different issues and termination of services like the forums etc to want to
keep it there.

On Sat, Dec 13, 2014 at 11:23 PM, Michael T. Pope <mp...@computer.org>
wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 13:37:04 +0100
> Stian Grenborgen <stian...@student.matnat.uio.no> wrote:
> > Freecol.org has been compromised. I have replaced the entire site with
> > a place-holder until it can be properly restored, and contacted
> > blacklists etc in order to remove security warnings.
>
> I fear this was only a matter of time.
>
> > We are now forced to either convert
> > the site into a static one, or migrating to a later version of Joomla.
>
> Either would be good.  IMHO the main decision criterion should be
> ease of maintenance.  My opinion is fairly moot as I almost never
> touch the website due to loathing the Joomla administrative interface.
>
> > Anyone with experience in Joomla wanting to offer assistance?
>
> I am unqualified, probably fortunately.  However I generally like the
> look of the disabled freecol.org, and recommend a simple port to
> whatever new format, rather than a big redesign.
>
> Cheers,
> Mike Pope

Jonathan Aquilina