All:

Apparently.  Now do you recall what wintertime and I said a while back
about optimization?  The GUI, specifically MapViewer is known to be slow.
Apparently *very* slow in your case, I suspect there may be something
particular to your system going on there.  May I again suggest that you
look into why MapViewer is slow?  I hope you can understand some of my
exasperation in that you have submitted 180 odd optimization patches none
of which touch the one area that has been reproducably shown to be bad.

My take in this is that while optimization is always beneficial (to
someone), stopping to optimize everything can be detrimental to fixing bugs
and implementing features.

Just like any open source project all are free to work on whatever they
want, I jusy don't want the end user to be lost in all this philosophical
discussion.

A couple months back there was an open bug review on this list and many
those remain unfixed.

>> Java8 is not negotiable.
> Does that mean, using j8 stuff whereever possible, just for its own
> sake ?

No.  Why do you say that?

That said, you should also know that I do security professionally and have
spent far too much time cleaning after people who insist on hanging on to
their known vulnerable software.  The FreeCol project generally was
burned a while back due to the website being exploited...

Agreed. Using version 8 only makes sense and it seems to be useful for Mike
to use those new features when coding FreeCol (Streams API, Lambdas, etc.).

> > So *what* exactly is "magnitudes smaller"?
>
> Sorry, a bit fallen over --- AI is magnitudes slower here. In larger
> games (when the AIs have lots of colonies and units)...

I would like to raise this issue as a good one to tackle nearer to the v1
release (from a dev side), but before then I think some improvement is
always beneficial (from the user side).

>From the UX side, the intial opening delay (both of the program and of a
game) can be a "long" time with no visual representation of actions
happening. Same with the AI turns delay.

Would progress bars help improve that experience?

Best,

Caleb

PS: Sorry for any typos, this was written on my phone.