Hi,

> Gesendet: Dienstag, 31. Dezember 2019 um 06:04 Uhr
> Von: "Michael T. Pope" <mp...@computer.org>
>
> > Sorry, I'm late. :o Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
>
> And indeed to you too.  I was cutting our Christmas tree on the afternoon
> of the 23rd so I will not be criticizing anyone for lateness.

thank you. :)

> > > OK, so www.freecol.org/docs/Freecol.{html,pdf} were broken, and should
> > > be fixed now.  Are there more?
> >
> > I just tried, and there is 0.11.3 version on server.
>
> Yes, I only fixed the git master, I have not done the upload.

This time, I just did. ;)

> >>[Jekyll]
> Configuration file: none

It should have found my _config.yml . Had you checked out a commit where
it was existing already?
It is necessary to get the news to appear in their old place with the
correct template used, maybe more later.
I'm still not sure if the date should be in the news file name after
compilation or not to avoid changing to not break old links?

> 1135 Malbec] jekyll -v
> jekyll 3.8.6
>
> Not quite what you wanted.  However I looked at the contents of _site
> and could not see any obvious failure.  So it looks like it worked for me.

The usual Ruby way is to do:
$ gem update jekyll
I think, your Linux distribution may want you to get it from their
package manager / repository, not rubygems.org , though.
If both aren't working, I can try to work around the incompatibilities:
https://jekyllrb.com/docs/upgrading/3-to-4/
There is also the possibility of using Bundler, which is the Ruby
way of getting your own versions of gem dependencies. It's even
recommended, but I wanted to avoid it, to simplify everything a bit.

> As usual I am wary of more dependencies, but a static generator is
> probably the best tradeoff for us now, and I think markdown is a good
> compromise.  So I think this is looking promising.

Ok, nice. I'll continue with it for a bit on my repo. You all can take
a look on https://github.com/wintertime/FreeCol/tree/jekyll and when
it is ready we put it in main and compile/upload.

Greetings

wintertime