Gesendet: Dienstag, 07. Dezember 2021 um 09:01 Uhr
Von: "Stefan Fellner via Freecol-developers" <freecol-developers@lists.sourceforge.net>
An: "Freecol Developers" <freecol-developers@lists.sourceforge.net>
Betreff: Re: [Freecol-developers] TradeRouteInputPanel
Hi to all,

I am currently working on the TradeRouteInputPanel (Mike told me there was some issues there).

Unclear. Generally I prefer to have as few modal panels as possible, but
I can not think of a good reason not to have the TRIP non-modal with
respect to its parent TRP.

I used the already in-place mechanism of opening the panels only once per class in the Widgets (canvas#getExistingFreeColPanel(<PanelClass>)).

Regards to "modality" - I added a marker for the MenuBar / Actions to not be enabled in case of some non-modal input panel is open at the time (Reason: If you are in the non-modal TRIP panel and enter the name of the TradeRoute, all mnemonic keys could immediatly open another panel).
Usually FreeCol currently mostly uses FreeColDialog instances for modal dialogs, however I figured it might not be disered/necessary to change the TRIP to a really modal dialog. (Please tell me if you'd prefer that).

Consider yourself free to come up with a better design if you wish,
however I would initially just try to make the current design work. We
are guided by the appearance of Col1, but do not stick closely to it (as
distinct from game functionality where Col1-compatibility is very
important). I do not have a template or description or any sort of
preferred look and feel--- I try hard to keep out of those areas!
I don't really wanted to change the design, but only adding another GoodsTypePanel, because I couldn't see how the TradeRoutes could define there goods to be loaded vs. unloaded. (only one drop target GoodsTypePanel to put the cargo's onto was present).

Icon-wise to be able to display the goods loaded in a TradeStop vs. unloaded - I am open for suggestions - I could make one too - I was thinking of some compound Icon like the given cargo icon plus some kind of arrow-icon overlaying it signaling loading / unloading. I have to browse through the available icons - maybe something like that is already available. If not I will try to make suggestions; however I am not a graphics guy :P ;) - so if there is someone capable here - please contact me :)
(Unless you like my suggestion then :D).

Ahm, and another quick question if anyone may know:
If i need to I would like to override the DefaultTransferHandler - is there any reason why this class was made final?

BR,
Stefan!

Dec 7, 2021, 07:45 by mp...@computer.org:
On Sun, 5 Dec 2021 14:26:09 +0100 (CET)
First off, is there a BR ticket about it?

No. I forget exactly what way it was broken, but IIRC dragging goods
types was displaying incorrectly.
Is it wanted to have multiple TradeRoutePanel / TradeRouteInputPanels open at the same time?

I do not think that is necessary.

Also then following the TradeRoutePanel - shoud the InputPanel be modal (at least to the TradeRoutePanel)?

Unclear. Generally I prefer to have as few modal panels as possible, but
I can not think of a good reason not to have the TRIP non-modal with
respect to its parent TRP.
Am I free to design how this panel should work, or should I stick to original col1, or do you have a template or description?

Consider yourself free to come up with a better design if you wish,
however I would initially just try to make the current design work. We
are guided by the appearance of Col1, but do not stick closely to it (as
distinct from game functionality where Col1-compatibility is very
important). I do not have a template or description or any sort of
preferred look and feel--- I try hard to keep out of those areas!

Sorry for the slow reply, I see you have been busy. Will catch up
properly soon. Note though, I generally prefer to discuss these questions
on freecol-developers.

Cheers,
Mike Pope