The recent bump to Java 9 is probably not ideal, as it is not a Long Term
Supported release.  Indeed it is nominally already unsupported... not that
suport from Oracle is all that impressive.  Nevertheless with my Security
Person Hat on, I would be more comfortable with a bump to a LTS release,
which would be Java 11 (expires March 2023) or Java 17 (expires September
2026).  Any thoughts, particularly regarding what is currently available
on Windows and Macs?  I can vouch for both 11 and 17 being easy to run on
linux.

Cheers,
Mike Pope