On 10/16/21 10:25, A. F. Cano wrote:
[...]
$ sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
Restarting networking (via systemctl): networking.service.

Network Manager, I believe, has some complex logic to ensure that restarting it does not terminate all remote connections. That could explain why you didn't see any effect.

[...]
Ok, so this seems to have worked.

Reboot a few times perhaps to ensure that fix indeed is working.

[...]
I've just checked the BIND option of FreedomBox and now the option is
not enabled (the button is grey).  I have not explicitly disabled it,
has this been done automatically by the

$ sudo systemctl mask named.service

`systemctl disable named.service` will actually disable the BIND app (and vice versa). But 'mask' is stronger. Attempts to enable the app won't work and service won't be started as a dependency of another service, etc. If you ever wish to use BIND again in future, remember to 'unmask' it first.

command? My reasoning for enabling the BIND option was that I wanted to
handle the internal dns and dhcp requests locally on the FreedomBox, but
it appears that dnsmasq and named are incompatible.

Fixing this has been on my TODO list for while now. Currently busy working on email server.

For quite a while now I've had the cable modem configured as a bridge.

I'm still not sure what additional configuration I need to do to have
the FreedomBox handle dns requests from the internal machines.  Now that
thd BIND option is disabled, are all dns requests, including the local
ones, leaking out to the internet?

Unfortunately, that's what this means.

After the mask command above, the BIND option cannot be enabled.

Like I've said before, it would be nice to have a centralized /etc/hosts
on the FreedomBox that would direct FreedomBox DNS to resolve all
internal queries, but this seems to be incompatible with running
dnsmasq, or could dnsmasq handle this with some additional
configuration? If so, what configuration?

I don't know if dnsmasq can do this but if it can, then the one that is spawned by Network Manager can be configured using a little trick[1] (just note the configuration file and write your own configuration in there).

[...]
And thank you for your work on FreedomBox.  It has become indespensable
to me.

Thank you for the detailed reports you have been sending. I don't always get the time to get involved in them but I hope to as much as I can. Keep them coming.

Links:

1) https://en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/FreedomBox_for_Communities/Network_Configuration#Configuring_DHCP_Leases_and_Range

--
Sunil