On Jul 8, 2011, at 12:36 AM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:

On 07/07/2011 05:34 PM, Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson wrote:
Those seizures all took place on .com/.net/... domains, right? I don't think the Americans have had the audacity to go after domains under TLDs
nominally belonging to foreign countries yet.

So which country's government *is* an acceptable middlman for dissenters
to rely on to not take away their public identity?  Or their allies'
identities?

That's all really. I know lots of people think DNS is fundamentally broken, but I'm not one of them. And it's not like DNS is standing still either, it
is still evolving, albeit slower than we might like.

DNS in its current implementation *is* fundamentally broken.  It also
works remarkably well, most of the time :)

So to put things another way: being *able* to use DNS would be an awesome *feature* of whatever people do end up using for discovery. All that is necessary for that to be satisfied is for the key to have the structure of a domain name, and the data to fit in an A or TXT record (or two or three).

Yes, completely agreed.  i'm not trying to throw everything away; i'm
trying to encourage this project to avoid building something that will
have a vulnerable central target for control.  DNS currently fits that
description; i have no objections to using it as one means of transport,
but i'd be pretty sad if you had to rely on today's hierarchical,
state-controlled DNS for your freedombox to function properly.

.........we might need to switch to layer 2 ?

network-layer agnostic - you can run whatever you wish on top of batman-adv: IPv4, IPv6, DHCP, IPX ..
nodes can participate in a mesh without having an IP
easy integration of non-mesh (mobile) clients (no manual HNA fiddling required)
roaming of non-mesh clients
optimizing the data flow through the mesh (e.g. interface alternating, multicast, forward error correction, etc)

http://www.open-mesh.org/wiki/batman-adv/Wiki

What about delay tollerant networking ? or "email without internet ? :)

http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/projects/ibr-dtn/

greetings

Marc

--  Les enfants teribbles - research / deployment
Marc Manthey- Vogelsangerstrasse 97
50823 Köln - Germany
Tel.:0049-221-29891489
Mobil:0049-1577-3329231