Hi all, I think it would feel "more open" to use the open source
(weaker compression) UPX variants. However, I do not think that it
is imperative that GPL software "must" be compiled with compilers
which are open source themselves. It does help a lot to use at least
free compilers (i.e. not TASM / MSVC / ...) because this allows others
to modify and recompile the code.

But if you do have a commer*ial supercompiler I think you should be
able to compile your GPLed code with it to create a more optimized
binary. Again, it should still be POSSIBLE to compile with FREE (not
necessarily open) compilers. Otherwise much of the gain of open source
is lost.

Similar opinion about executable packers.

And finally I think the "GNU / Linux" community has had this discussion
before, so we should look into the archives for some more settled opinions
about using non-open compilers compiling open source software!

Eric.