Hi, I contacted the people of http://www.clamav.net/ open source
antivirus project (successor of OpenAntiVir). ClamAV compiles for
Windows with Cygwin. Main platform is Linux.

A realistic goal for FreeDOS would be a DJGPP compile of
- libclamav
- http://www.gnu.org/directory/gnump.html (xxl precision math lib, used
  for signatures. TGZ is 2 MB but I think ClamAV only uses few functions!)
- ClamScan (the non-TSR command line scanner)

ClamAV uses autoconf: As you remember from EDLINE, autoconf is feasible
but a waste of space if your compiler is GNU anyway ;-). I tried the
following trick for gnump/gmp:
- run ./configure in Linux (will detect gcc properties...)
- edit config.status to make it use DOS paths
- run ./config.status to create the Makefiles
- run (GNU-)make in DOS
Alas this did not work: I do have BASH for DOS, but I do not have long
filename support (why??? I tried in DOSEMU!) and I do not yet have SED.
Note that gcc / Linux and DJGPP / DOS are 2 versions of the same thing.
Otherwise, my cheap autoconf trick would have been a bad idea. As a last
resort, you can remove all autoconf references from all Makefiles
(sigh...) and write a static config.h (or just use the one
which autoconf's ./configure created for you!).

Could somebody with CYGWIN (which is DJGPP plus BASH plus some
common Linux textutils like SED all in Windows versions) try
to compile libclamav, clamscan or gmp (or all of them) just by
./configure
make
? I really wonder what CYGWIN features ClamAV would need AFTER
compiling! I think a non-GUI version of clamscan with statically
linked gmp and libclamav should be able to run "out of the box"
in FreeDOS (with cwsdpmi) without further "DOS is not Windows"
modifications???

Problem is that only very few ClamAV developers use Windows.
None of them uses DOS, I think.

Any help is welcome.

Eric.

PS: How can I run FreeDOS in Wine? Would that give me long file
names? Or do I have to compile LFN-awareness into the BASH and
DOSEMU already supports LFN anyway? Big questions...