On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, Arkady V.Belousov wrote:

> 1-сав-2004 20:55 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Luchezar Georgiev) wrote to
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:
>
> LG> Adding *strings* just for information purposes in the precious resident
> LG> space is a bad idea.
>
>      Lucho, you blindly skip all my mentions about os_release. :( I mention
> this variable (and subfunction 0xFF) in freedos-kernel@ when report reduced
> size (after my patch), I quote here excerpt from sources about this
> variable... And now you say that this is bad idea (when you say nothing
> earlier)?!

This string can't be removed -- it's part of RBIL:

--------D-2133FF-----------------------------
INT 21 - FreeDOS - GET DOS-C/FREEDOS KERNEL RELEASE STRING POINTER
        AX = 33FFh
Return: DX:AX -> string of the form
          "FreeDOS kernel version " KERNEL_VERSION_STRING
          " (Build " KERNEL_BUILD_STRING ") [" __DATE__ " " __TIME__ "]\n"

I sent this to Ralf Brown at the time that Matthias Paul did a desperate
call for updates because RBIL62 could be released any day (that was in Apr
2002), seems I missed that release though.

I really object to breaking backwards compatibility here; we already had
this function when Pat was still maintaining the kernel...

But indeed. Adding strings is not good. So I won't add any new strings.

Bart