On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Bernd Blaauw wrote:

> Eric Auer schreef:
> > Hi, I found that a very "small" way to decompress CPI files would
> > be using UPX to compress them and then patch the decompression process.
> > Here is a sketch. I think this should work with both open source and NRV
> > versions of UPX.
>
> Same thing as making an EXE non-decompressable by patching the stub.
> Same thing as adding password protection to an executable.
> this is a violation of the UPX terms, see UPX forums for more info.

it's not a violation of the UPX terms as long as the program you are
packing has a GPL compatible license. UPX only places these restrictions
on non-GPLed programs.

It can do that because the stub itself is GPLed.

GPL compatible program + UPX GPL stub = GPLed binary -- *everything*
in the binary is covered under the GPL so you're free to modify the
underlying source code.

non-GPL compatible program + UPX GPL stub = link conflict
Now UPX specifies a special exception that you can use it to pack
non-GPLed programs but only if you don't modify UPX itself.

Bart