Hi,

Arkady V.Belousov escribiÃ:

Hi!

21-ÐÐÐ-2004 23:07 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Aitor SantamarÑa Merino) wrote to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:

ASM> I mention this of backdoors in particular because:
ASM> (a) MS-DOS 6.22 help does say that COMMAND's DIR is not affected by
ASM> APPEND /X. FreeCOM DIR is not affected by FD-APPEND /X, even with no
ASM> modification on the side of FreeCOM

How to overcome presence of APPEND? I mean, APPENDed names, probably,
may/should be ignored by ATTRIB?

APPEND will hook File Open, and with the /X modifier, also FindFirst and Exec.
See for example the flags (B706h to get, B707h to set, both through BX):

Bitfields for APPEND state:
Bit(s) Description (Table 02980)
0 set if APPEND enabled
1-11 reserved
12 (DOS 5.0) set if APPEND applies directory search even if a drive has been specified
13 set if /PATH flag active
14 set if /E flag active (environment var APPEND exists)
15 set if /X flag active

By default, APPEND (NT-APPEND and FD-APPEND) sets the flags 0,12,13 (and 14 with /X). 13 can be modified through commandline.
So one option would be to disable 12 through the API, then invoke FindFirst with "d:*.*", or the easiest, save, disable and restore the flags.

Aitor