Eric Auer schreef:

Hi Bernd! Nice that the new distro is delayed, maybe
some things can get fixed in the next 2 weeks..

Hi Eric, you're not away that long, I see. slightly information addicted like I am
(I'm not even that much internet addicted, but it just contains a lot of info).

Definitely a good thing to have. Please compare 2.8-fat32
and 2.10 Imre/Lucho version compatibility for FAT16 and FAT32
for MS and FreeDOS kernels with and without FAT32 support.
Maybe it helps to create a all/all compatible 2.10 version.

I need a working binary before I can do any testing.
For example, the backup bootsector and primary bootsector would not be synchronized, even when requested.
You know that FORMAT/SYS only write one bootsector. MS SYS writes both.

and just an offical version would do fine. BTW, I need SHARE (your version) sourcecode,
not a DIFF against the offical one..(EDLIN 2.2 binary would also be nice :) )

Any SYS code contributions?
Arkady was working on SYS, but he has like 7 projects at the same time, just as you have..
so if you feel up to it, go ahead. Boot sector checking would almost be trivial, as you pointed out.
(I feel so dumb about not having enough C knowledge to do this, despite seeing a few C tutorials)

How that? So I guess all work on the distro will wait, too?

university has finally found out I have a cable internet account from them. I already left university 3 years ago..
they want the modem back before 30-06-2004

Who knows, maybe we could even include a CVS/Arkady kernel in
the distro? It should NOT be the default kernel, though, because
there was almost no testing yet.

yes, on the bootdisk (-image). Not on the harddisk. New memtest+ (1.20) released, btw
I'll verify if your MEMTESTE is usable on original MEMTEST86 3.0 (yes) and 3.1a (unknown).
As you never looked into the mt86+ sources, mt86+ probably won't work with your "mt86-to-exe" loader.

*improved harddisk/partition detection

Reminds me that WHICHFAT - only FreeDOS kernel affected! - cannot
detect "drive letter exists but drive is not formatted" case. Bernd,
FREETEST results show a consistent pattern here? Please check
http://www.coli.uni-sb.de/~eric/stuff/soft/specials/ whichfat.zip
and free-disk-space-tester-freetest.zip (binary and sources) and
tell me why the used kernel function makes WHICHFAT believe that
unformatted is FAT12, how the kernel can be fixed and how WHICHFAT
could work around the problem. Main function is int 21.36 afair.

I'll experiment with FreeTEST a bit
sorry for those FAT12 guys..code below formats their drive.
and the FDISK /STATUS is to avoid offering to run Fdisk if it can't find a harddisk anyway (errlvl 6)

:checkHDD
set initmenu1=
WHICHFAT C:
if errorlevel 16 goto begin
rem format a formatted FAT12 or unformatted FAT12/16/32 partition.
if exist c:\nul format C: /Z:SERIOUSLY
if exist c:\nul sys c: c: BOOTONLY
cls
if exist c:\nul goto begin
if not exist a:\freedos\choice.exe goto begin
a:\freedos\fdisk /status
cls
if "%errorlevel%"=="6" goto boot_chk
echo FreeDOS beta9 ("Methusalem") cdrom distribution.
echo.
echo 1) Prepare the harddisk for installation of FreeDOS Beta9,
echo by running Fdisk to create a partition using the FAT filesystem

No big problem as long as it really helps with speed! People
who cannot boot from CD-ROM should still have a few 100 kbytes
more harddisk space free than needed for the installed FreeDOS,
so do not worry about that... Remember to rename "full" and "mini"
to "base with sources" and "base without source codes", though...

I dislike temporary files :(

I would have preferred: Copy all files. Boot from any DOS floppy.
Change to the directory with the copied files. Run the main batch file
(which can possibly automatically check if you are REALLY in DOS and
are using FreeCOM, to help people who did the copying in Windows and
could not resist to click on the batch file!). Otherwise: Nice news :-)

No, entire cdrom FreeDOS tree needs to be copied. The diskette installation is hardwired to the first
physical drive (A:, or B: if booting from cdrom or MEMDISK emulated A: drive).

Jason was planning to revamp SHSUCDX, maybe he can get some updates
fast enough for the update? How about Memtest86+, by the way?

I lost his email to me. Have you experimented with SHSUCDHD? it requires 386, and SHSUCDX as redirector.
And it gives me a lot of error messages if doing DIR for example.

programmer who is working on the kernel at all right now!? No real news
from Lucho or Tom these days.

Lucho is an occasional code reviewer for Arkady. He helped me out with a compilation error.
FreeDOS kernel is now good enough for Tom's commerical product(s), so no 'need' for him to be very busy with FreeDOS.
..hey, I have a license for his product. Any time spent by him on kernel work is time he can't spend on improving the product I paid for..LOL!

btw, I'm going to try to release a mixed ReactOS/FreeDOS distribution, just for my own fun.
http://belnet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/reactos/reactos-0.2.3-livecd.zip [6MB]

SYSLINUX list has a discussion of how to use MEMDISK/FREEDOS as Pre-OS
(do a job like checking HDD, wipe freedos out of memory and boot Linux/Windows as final operating system)

Bernd