At 02:06 AM 7/6/2004 +0200, Bernd Blaauw wrote:

It necessary, RAM can be completely emulated within the command line parser via internal mapping to I= and X= options. It wouldn't take a lot of time to implement.
hello Michael,

please do so if you are willing to do that.

I'll see about time on it. Still coming off tight timing here. When is 1.0 release of FreeDOS? At some point we have to sit on the feature list and expand the compatibility modifications post-1.0 release, else we'll never reach 1.0.

any idea if the HIGHSCAN option should be accepted (preferably as a dummy parameter)?

device=himem.exe
device=emm386.exe RAM HIGHSCAN
dos=high,umb

HIGHSCAN always seemed like asking for trouble (it is warned about in original EMM386 docs), but it can also be implemented with command line parsing emulation of I= option, possibly with mirrored block testing first.

last but not least, is it possible to access the UMB-scanning engine from the commandline, so it would indicate if 4KB blocks are
filled with all zeroes, all FF's, or something else (code). Upper memory block testing code for when no EMM386 is loaded :)

Not sure how and what this would report, or what you have in mind.

and to save myself from typing another message: any chance of Tom taking the time to release emm386r2 as a final EMM386 1.12/1.13 package?
any word from Erwin?

Sent Erwin a test app workaround for NIOS not a part of EMM386 and waiting to see when he comes back with a response before sending on the EMM386 recompile. It appears he might be on vacation or currently busy. I don't think the EMM386 re-merge is a big deal, just a matter of getting those who reported problems between the two to agree that everything works now. I think we're extremely close to code agreement there.