Hi, I had some problems with receiving mail, but reading the online
list archives gives me the idea that there is a misunderstanding here...

- Tyler found a small tool, and the readme of that tool states that it
  is important for him (the author of the tool) to keep the tool < 0.5k size.
- I checked for optimality of the binary, and found that it starts with
  mov ah,30 / int 21, followed directly by code to release environment from
  RAM (so the returned DOS version is not used).
- So I asked the author of the tool why he had not optimzed away the int 21.30
  call, and after a while, he remembered that he once had a program which would
  crash if it started with using XMS services right away. It did that on a
  Virtual PC system. His solution was to make the program start with int 21.30.
- We had a problem with Virtual PC in emm386/himem recently, and I remembered
  that there was code to disable A20 between "exec" and the first int 21 call
  by the exec-ed program.

"Conclusion": I wrote to the list, suggesting that this might be an A20 related
problem, and
suggesting to re-add Tom's invention, the "refuse to actually disable A20",
to HIMEM (or EMM386: at least MS EMM386 locks the real A20 to on and uses
the paged memory system to SIMULATE a (fast) switchable A20 for DOS), but not
(as for Tom's version) as a compile time option but as a command line switch.
And of course I would like some comments whether my speculations about "why
use int 21.30 before XMS to avoid hangs?". Maybe that particular HIMEM or
EMM386 crashed in XMS handling on that particular virtual hardware if the
A20 was not enabled "explicitly" before calling the XMS handler?

And of course I am interested in the state of "LOADFIX for FreeDOS". I think
it once was part of FreeCOM, but 0.82pl3 does not have it compiled in? There
is no separate LOADFIX listed in the LSM database either...!?

Eric