On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, tom ehlert wrote:

> BTW: I'm not sure, if translated yes/no's make much sense at all, unless
> the program (int24 handler, command,...) is translated as well, and
> then the yes/no should be translated at that stage.
[...]
>   are you really sure you want to continue ?
>
> expecting a 'J' (german JA) as answer.
> IMO, this doesn't make much sense.

That would mean there needs to be a connection between the cats/kitten
code and the COUNTRY code.

cats/kitten use the LANG environment variable (*nix style -- Linux has
zero i18n in the kernel, it's all handled by the runtime library).

The code becomes a bit complicated though if you want things consistent...

        language = table[country_code_from_kernel];
        if (exists("file.language"))
                use_localized_yes_no
        else
                use ("(y)es") and ("(n)o").

This table is needed because most programs only have a few translations
but there are many more translations of yes and no in the country.sys.

but then it's simpler to store the translations for yes and no in the
language file.

Although it simplifies things a bit if you can simply assume that the LANG
setting matches the COUNTRY setting. This is just in no way enforced.

Bart