Hi Tom,

> however typing *manually*
>
> c:>md cd
> c:>echo echo hello >> cd\hello.bat
> c:>cd\hello
>
> says 'the system cannot find the path specified' (\hello doesn't
> exist)

Even stranger: typing
cd\hello
manually executes cd\hello.bat in MS command.com in FreeDOS but
tries to cd to \hello in the same MS command.com in MSDOS. Probably some
int2f "is this an internal command?" does not get through.

> so there is
>   a) internal command termination is dependant, if this is a valid
>   path
>   b) this depends on batch/interaktiv mode.

I think in general if you write batch file you should use "cd \foo"
instead of "cd\foo" just to avoid ambiguities. You can leave out the space
only for internal but not external commands anyway (this rule is for \
only, for / the space is never necessary, although, perhaps, the
"switchar" setting changed that in some MSDOS version). I wonder who
designed this scheme or if it just happened by accident so to speak.

Bart