Hi,

Alain escribió:

tom ehlert escreveu:

IMO, scince FS, GS, and the high parts of EAX,... aren't used by MSDOS
as well, drivers can get away when they destroy these resisters,
so it's a good idea to save them as well.

This gets complicated when Kernel is 386 optimized. MS-DOS never modified this because it is 16-bit. It could be argued that if a kernel is to be compatible it cannot modify them either.

Now the other way round: can the kernel be sensistive to 386 registers being modified by drivers? IMHO not, because the original one is not and hence some drivers will stop working.

Then I believe that it is the kernel resposibility to preserve it's registers.

Well, I disagree. As it was posted, drivers are to preserve registers.

Anyway, can't this be the cause why EMM386 + 386-optimised kernel are not working together?

Aitor