Sent: Friday, October 07, 2005 4:52 PM
Subject: Re: [Freedos-devel] Ukrainian language file

>Hi there,
Hi!
>I just noticed that the character set used by KEYUKR is not standard - at
>least according to IBM-DOS codepage 1125.
>It is a mixture of IBM-DOS/MS-DOS russian codepage 866 and IBM-DOS ukrainian
>codepage 1125.
>It comprehends all the ukrainian and russian characters in the same
>codepoints as 1125 but it provides two characters (middle dot, square root)
>from russian codepage 866 and superscript 2 - which is not available on any
>official IBM or MS-DOS cyrillic codepage. On that codepoint (#253) it should
>be found the international currency sign instead, as it is both on cp866 and
>cp1125.
>So, I ask: do you need the middle dot (codepoint #250), the square root
>(codepoint #251) and the superscript 2 (codepage #253) or could I stick to
>the characters officially assigned to codepage 1125, which are respectively
>the division sign, plus/minus sign and the international currency sign?
Yes. It's symbol (#251) is wanted by me - it's used on the lists beginning (punctuation) on text's. Other symbols (#253 and #250) can be removed from codepage.

>If I can stick to codepage 1125, fine.
>If I should use those other 3 characters instead, I could provide a distinct
>ukrainian codepage which would comply with keyukr - however, it would not be
>named "1125". I would provide another codepage number and it would be
>referred to in the documentation.
Ok.
>Furthermore, I was not able to switch to the cyrillic layout when I tried
>KEYUKR. I tried both + (as you said) and
>+ but KEYUKR didn't switch to the cyrillic layout. I tried
>"KEYUKR /HELP" (which is in plain english) and "KEYUKR /HELP:RUS" and both
>explanations were not clear to me, as to how to switch between the latin and
>the cyrillic modes. I would appreciate help on how to do that. Thanks in
>advance.
In KeyUkr: Switch to Ukrainian layout: Press the left Ctrl + right Ctrl simultaneously. For return to latin layout, simple press the Esc key.
>Henrique

ICQ - You get the message, anywhere!
Get it @ http://www.icq.com