Hello, all:

OK.  I'm trying a different experiment, and a more methodical one.
(I have a different computer and a different USB stick).  I am
using the HP Utility SP27213.  This utility detects whether you
have files named kernel.sys/command.com in the directory you point
it at or msdos.sys/io.sys/command.com.

If I run the utility, instruct it to format the USB stick and
use MSDOS files, it does so and the resulting USB stick boots under
MSDOS and runs fine.  No problems.

If I run the utility, instruct it to format the USB stick and
use FreeDOS development (February 14, 2006) files, FreeDOS boots
to a C:\> prompt all right, but a "dir c:" shows me the files
from an extended FAT32 partition on my hard disk, not the USB stick!

The MBR's in these two cases are identical except for some
so-called "magic bytes" at 01b8-a which are some sort of
Windows timestamp.

The boot sectors are not the same...not even close. The HP utility
obviously knows about the FreeDOS kernel and applies an appropriate
boot sector.

The partition type on the USB stick is type 14 (decimal),
WIN95 DOS 16-Bit FAT, LBA-mapped.

Any suggestions on how I can debug this?

Mark