At 09:24 PM 7/18/2006 +0200, Japheth  wrote:

>As already mentioned, the block merges are not done on allocation, at least
>not in all cases, since my simple try to alloc a block which exceeded the
>reported "largest size" failed. Else I would probably have hesitated to call
>it a bug.

Tonight's code examination will tell the tale, but there is definitely XMS
block merging code in HIMEM which works at some level.

>I'm pretty sure there is plenty of time for Himem fixes. From what I can
>see/read calling the current state of FD 1.0 "premature" is a bit euphemistic.

Uneuphemistically, I think FreeDOS 1.0 could have gone out when 95%+ of DOS
apps worked with it, two or three years ago.  But the Earthwide populace
has failed to declare me King Of The World by universal acclamation, and it
doubtless suffers in my regal absence.

However, I will agree that, if verified, the FAT32 corruption/failure bug
is the one critical show-stopper that must be corrected prior to 1.0's
release.  Users tend to treat low-level hard disk hosing as a poor
reflection on the software they are running, with  many probably never to
try it again should they experience such corruption.  And, since I've heard
from three people that some sort of FAT32 bug exists, it seems rather
likely to be true.

Presumably the three or four kernel elves are working assiduously to
correct the problem.  I'd like to help myself, but kernel debugging is
quite different than individual application debugging and pretty much
requires full-body immersion in the kernel code for days or weeks to act
intelligently on it beyond simple patches.

Still, I wager a German-type with a precision-based background of writing a
DOS extender and protected mode debugger, with extensive technical training
in low-level programming, could possibly be a lot of help in tracking down
that one critical bug.  Not that I am suggesting or volunteering anyone, as
that would quite rude of me.