> before I started writing on FreeDOS. I think this compiler might even be
> better than the one I am currently using (turbo C++ 1.01).

Well, I did some testing and its C library is severly limited and
non-standard, and the code it produces seems much larger than Turbo
C[++] (4kb for a simple void main(void){return;} program; OpenWatcom
is about 1 kb).
However, with a more standard C library, it might be OK.

> It would be nice if all the code from FreeDOS could be compiled with the
> compiler given in the distribution. Maybe all code should be transitioned to
> openwatcom then.

I would say so, yes.  I've had success in porting several of the
utilities to OpenWatcom.

> The problem may then be that openwatcom is not GPL licensed. And it is still
> controlled by a big company that would most likely not want to listen to
> issues from the  FreeDOS project.

The license is less restrictive than the GPL; it allows commercial use
and linking to its c libraries statically without needing to
distribute the C library source code.

--
Fall is my favorite season in Los Angeles, watching the birds change
color and fall from the trees.

See ya