Blair Campbell wrote:
> After finally resolving that Florian's hard disk trashing problem was
> related to LBACache, I think that 1.0 can be released as long as
> LBACache isn't loaded during the install process.

That is good news indeed!

Kudos to all contributors of the upcoming 1.0 release!
Especially in the last months great progress has been made
towards this milestone.

... <snip> ...

> Since FreeCOM 0.84pre2 has become quite stable recently, it will be
> included, and 0.82 pl3 MIGHT find its way in as a backup in case any
> users would prefer legacy (but possibly better-working) versions.

I would like to ask on the status of 2 allready mentioned
issues on this list:

-1- 'map_cluster: empty'
With almost every redirection (piping) this is printed to screen.
BTW, Eric Auer's kernel released on 2006-07-26 does not seem to
be affected by this.

-2- PATH problems
Some commands can not be found in the PATH. The behaviour seems
rather erratic. Adding the extension usually solves the problem.

I tested the new FreeDOS stuff (upto and including emm386 2.23
release) with my lengthy batch-routines on the NwDsk boot disks.
These disks are based on http://www.nu2.nu/bootdisk/network/
See http://www.veder.com/nwdsk/#images for older 3.35 releases.

Currently everything runs fine on the NwDsk 3.40 betas except for
the 2 problems mentioned above. The PATH-problem is only happening
with some commands: HELP, MENU, VC, NET.
HELP, MENU, and VC are batch-files, NET is NET.EXE the Microsoft
network-utility. When called with extension they work, when
called without they do not work: 'Bad command or filename - "vc"'.

The set of updated FreeDOS-components seems far more compatible
to different hardware and 3rd party software. However the
PATH-problem would be a show stopper for me including 0.84pre2
with upcoming new NwDsk release. End users should just be
able to type HELP, MENU, or NET to get a proper response.

BTW the NwDsk 3.40 betas (e.g. all their batch-files) run fine
on MsDOS 6.22, MsDOS 7.10 (W98se), OpenDOS (DrDOS by Udo Kuhnt),
and FreeDOS-pre-pre-1.0. FreeDOS-1.0 vastly improves compatibility
with respect to the previous FreeDOS used (kernel 2006-04-28,
freecom 2006-01-06, emm386 2005-11-28) but triggers the 2
mentioned problems.

Just tell me there is a new kernel/freecom that I can test
addressing these issues ...
;-)

Erwin