Hi all,

Blair pointed me to the fact that "source" packages
are not supposed to contain docs, according to our
specs. I object that recommendation. In my opinion,
"source" packages should contain everything outside
the bin directory, and "binary" packages should
contain everything outside the source directory.

My reason for this recommendation is that end users
should have all documentation and that all documen-
tation in fact IS part of the source code. When we
work on updating a program, it has to be sufficient
to download ONLY the source package to create a new
version of the full binary package.

One might say that this wastes space in situations
where you put both source and binary package zips
in one directory. Well. Shit happens. Or if that is
not acceptable, one could put "MINIMAL SOURCE" zip
packages in that directory, containing ONLY the
source directory contents. Along with a readme which
tells that the source zips in that directory can only
be used in combination with the binary zips.

Source packages which are available via http should
contain the full docs. This avoids two problems:

- people would otherwise have to download the old
   exe even if they only wanted the docs, for example
   for creating derived versions of the sources

- programmers would otherwise easily forget to update
   the docs or, even worse, the NLS files when they
   modify the source code

An alternative solution for all the hassles might be
to have the docs in a third zip. Then you would have
to download 2 of 3 zips for development and 2 of 3
zips for using the program. And all 3 zips would have
minimal size. If anybody cares for size of source
packages.

Still I would really prefer to have all docs in the
source zips! After all, people usually download only
the sources of SELECTED packages. And the open source
idea tells me that the sources are the origins of the
world, so it should not be necessary to download the
binary package to understand the sources.

Eric