[EMAIL PROTECTED] schreef:
> So I booted from a 3"1/2 floppy, but then I could read and write files on
> existing (MS-)DOS formatted 5"1/4 floppies, but not format : I always get
> an error stating "Invalid drive B:" and "[Error 61]" (if I remember well).
> I tried with various parameters including /F and /4 (my drive is a 1.2Mb
> one).

Here you'll have to try using various DOS kernels and FORMAT programs,
I'd recommend:
* MS-DOS 6.00 kernel + MS-DOS format
* MS-DOS 6.00 kernel + FD FORMAT
* FreeDOS kernel (fat16 one, behaves as ms-dos 6.00 I think in
dos-version) + MS-DOS FORMAT
* FreeDOS kernel + FD FORMAT
> I ended up using the SYS command on an MS-DOS formatted disk.
>
> Also, hitting ctrl-alt-delete leads to various crashes (hung computer,
> kernel fatal error, or erratic msg display, it depends) on my P4 but never
> to a reboot, do you know something about this ?

With just kernel and FreeCOM loaded, or also applications like FDAPM?
> And just FMI, could you explain me why the behaviour at boot is different
> on my P4 and on the XT : the first chars displayed are "FreeDOS" on my P4,
>
> whereas I got a "..................................123" (crash) on the XT.

There exist various versions of our SYS program, and on FreeDOS 1.0.0
we've delivered an older less experimental version.
That's why the bootsector is different.
> I will try again and keep you posted.
>
> Thanks,
> Edouard.

I hope the floppy set will work, seems there's still some work on
FreeDOS to be done but nobody knows where to begin :)

Bernd