On 8/28/07, Eric Auer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Bart wrote:
> > I see you worked around that now in SVN. But I wonder, since you use
> > allocmem() already for Turbo C, why not also use _dos_allocmem()
>
> Feel free to add this, as long as it does actually work :-)

It seems to work here now (SVN 1354).

> While you are at it, you may want to remove the "shrink to 64k"
> thing, I think it is not needed as long as the right library
> functions are used for alloc-ing.

I don't think shrinking was needed in the first place but copying
works without trouble, so I'm not going to investigate further.

> Interesting, thanks! Why did it work in OpenWatcom without ASM tags?

Because it does not change the name mangling there. For Turbo C we're
using -p, Pascal calling conventions, to shrink the size a bit, but
that means that the compiler references all symbols with CAPITALS,
unless you adorn them with _cdecl.

> Good to know. Maybe I have an unlucky setting somewhere in my config
> bat and should check that further... By the way, make sure to "clean"
> between compiler changes, otherwise you get a mix of obj files ;-).

You should use "clobber" or the "-r" option with build that does the same thing.
Without "-r" I got indeed a TGROUP>64k warning.

In any case exeflat now calls upx by itself so the makefile is simpler.

UPX's --lzma compressed kernels seem to crash indeed but would help a bit;
OW 1.7 helps too.

FAT32/86 uncompressed NRV   LZMA
OW 1.6    69502             45841 44206
OW 1.7    69165             45788 44109

FAT32/386 uncompressed NRV   LZMA
OW 1.6      67092             45565 43967
OW 1.7      66531             45420 43769

but for .sys compression (possible when uncompressed kernel < 64K) it
doesn't help:
FAT16/386(OW1.7) 62651  40921 40921

Bart