you are correct....AMD Geode is indeed x86...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geode_(processor)

on the subject of porting FreeDOS to XO, one would have to write some
sort of graphical layer since there is no (S)VGA standard
implemented....in fact, the graphical controller is embedded in the
Geode chip and i'm not sure if it implements some standard at
all....as you pointed, some BIOS layer for I/O stuff would have to be
written too....

my humble opinion is that it is easier for one to port the old DOS
educational software to linux and use it in XO than port FreeDOS to XO
and use the app....in fact the even easier alternative is to use
DOSEMU but i'm not sure how will the performance be....i don't use
DOSEMU so i cannot tell much about it....

On 9/26/07, Eric Auer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Eric
>
> PS: AMD Geode is, as far as I remember, x86 compatible,
> so your "only" problem is that you need a BIOS for I/O
> devices such as keyboard, mouse, display and disk access.
> And a good solution is DOSEMU with both a BIOS and even
> virtual devices which look like classic VGA etc hardware.

Daniel

"Let us change our traditional attitude to the construction of
programs. Instead of imagining that our main task is to instruct a
computer what to do, let us concentrate rather on explaining to human
beings what we want a computer to do." (Donald Knuth)

"Yes, technogeeks can be funny, even if only to each other."
(http://www.boogieonline.com/revolution/science/humor/)"

"Man is driven to create; I know I really love to create things. And
while I'm not good at painting, drawing, or music, I can write
software." (Yukihiro Matsumoto, a.k.a. ``Matz'')