Hi Pat,

> 3. A built-in network TCP/IP stack.

I would not build it into the kernel, but making Wattcp sort of
modular, with a resident part, would be useful. For example it
would avoid the "do DHCP handshake again for each app" thing.

> real mode execution on ia32 and x86_64, and emulation on others,
> or native execution of DOS API.

Why would you support non-x86 platforms? There are no non-x86
DOS apps anyway... Emulation is something for a VM, such as
Dosemu-with-cpuemu, Bochs, Qemu, VMWare... Not a thing to put
into the DOS kernel, if you ask me. Of course you could move
the kernel into protected mode, but I do not remember that
FD32 would be a lot better or faster than "classic DOS" with
apps which use classic DOS extenders (cwsdpmi, dos32a, dos4gw).

> There seems to be no concern for multi processor/multi core
> platforms, power management, among other things.

It might be fun to work multi core, but the complexity overhead
is a problem and multi core single tasking is an odd mix ;-).
Multi tasking would require more virtual hardware, and classic
task swapping a la dosshell has no use for multi core. Maybe
one could write a "DOS supervisor" which runs DOS on one core
and seventeenorbust.com or SETI at Home on the other :-).

Similar case: It would be possible to make HIMEM able to use
memory above 4 GB, but then one would need something which
can actually use so much RAM. Maybe mount a DVD ISO in RAM.
Copying my whole DOS partition into RAM needs less than 4 GB
anyway, and I would have to copy back all changes before I
reboot, so that is no good example. Moving stuff to RAM can
save energy nevertheless. Imagine using your DOS as media
player with RAM instead of flash, copying media to RAM and
then spinning down the disk after booting. But remember: ANY
PC uses 100 times more electrical energy than a normal mp3
player or even an i Pod.

Power Mgmt is certainly interesting, so FDAPM and PCISLEEP
cover that topic. However, there is no support for complex
things such as suspend to RAM or disk (unless provided by
the BIOS). On the other hand, DOS boots in seconds anyway.
If you have suggestions for Power Mgmt, let me know :-). One
thing that comes into mind is "run CPU at lower speed and
voltage", only "throttle CPU" is supported already in FDAPM.

Eric