>> You can cast a short to an int, an the conversion in ok, but to cast a
>> short* to an int* will bring in 2 extra bytes and an INVALID POINTER...
>
> no short * and int * are the exact same size in 16-bit compilers (try
> compiling a test program which prints sizeof(int), sizeof(short).  For
> some reason openwatcom thinks it's an error.

I don't know why "unsigned short" to "unsigned int" should be an error if
they're the same size (probably so code doesn't get unportable due to
this?), but the new OW 1.8 had changes regarding both _dos_allocmem and
_dos_getftime. These either caused the warnings or they solved them (if
they occured in 1.7) but I think the former:

> - The date and time arguments to _dos_getftime() and _dos_setftime()
> are now using 'unsigned int' type instead of 'unsigned short'. This
> change has been made to improve compatibility with other compilers.
>
> - The segment argument used with _dos_allocmem(), _dos_freemem() and
> _dos_setblock() is now unsigned int instead of unsigned short. This
> change was made for compatibility with other compilers.

This is from
<http://openwatcom.org/index.php/C_Compilers_Release_Changes#List_of_changes_in_Open_Watcom_1.8>

Regards,
Christian