2009/6/18 dos386 <dos...@gmail.com>

> I possibly know what the problem is (re-confirmed with FD 2038 and EDR
> 2009-03-28) :
>
> 2. UIP seems to do a very strange thing: it brews a temp file (AH=$5A,
> regrettably not
> visible above, but there was ONE call to it per attempt), throws away
> the handle (!!!), and re-creates the file with $3C [1] ... what is
> supposed to happen ??? Then it deletes the original file and renames
> the (still opened) temp file to original name [2] ... and leaves both
> (!!!) files present in the directory and empty ... and additionally a
> dead cluster chain :-(

The problem in the end is that when you close a just created file, and
it has not been written too, then the directory entry should *NOT* be
updated (the entry was created though, at creation time, of course),
so closing the handle from AH=$5A should not cause any disk activity.
This is all influenced by bit 6 in the device information word (RBIL
Table 01423), and FreeDOS was clearing that bit for just created or
replaced files (in kernel 2038, it was setting the fnode F_DMOD field,
which does the same thing). MSDOS doesn't clear that bit, so SVN rev
1453 corrects it and fixes the UIP bug.

Bart