> what about the exFAT filesystem?

Already on my CRAP LIST ;-)

> - it is 64-bit (63-bit?)  in any case, the filesystem handles huge amounts of
> data.

maybe true

> - it is supported by windows vista SP1 and 7 (but not by xp prior to SP2)

maybe true

> - it doesn't have the shortsighted 32GB limitation imposed by ill-written
> microsoft

So your preferred solution is to stick to this "ill-written" company ???

> FAT32 can actually handle a LOT more, but people aren't coding for that
> because of cross-platform compatibility issues I think.

People are sticking to Windaube and call it "cross-platform compatibility" ;-)

> - Support for UTC timestamps

subminor

> - support for TFAT (transactional filesystem standard)

yeah

> a license from microsoft is required

I'm donating exactly 0.00000000000000000 AKA ZERO $$$ for it ;-)

> to implement because it has not been released yet

and possibly never will

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT

Mikripedia, the free advertising space for Macro$oft :-(

> I am being forced now to move my DJGPP compilers to the DOS

Good, someone should port DGJPP (or MinGW or GCC or whatever) back to DOS ;-)

> world because newer 64-bit OS computers will not execute DJGPP.

NOT true.

--