> > for  the DOS folk, this is maybe a wake-up call to start implementing
> > additional partitioning schemes? (by the way, the last version of fdisk I
> > used
> > is broken, it started creating empty  partitions)

> Which version is this?

Painful but works for me in very limited tests (version from cca 5
years ago ...)

> Luckily EFI does not seem to be complicated - EFI
> partitions ignore all CHS values and

both FreeDOS and EDR-DOS seem to prefer CHS over LBA whenever
possible ... any way to change this bad behavior ?

BTW, some time ago I tried to kick the redundant CHS entries,
result: Windaube broken, DOS still works !

> I still have some utilities that are written in DOS+BIOS calls.

Me too (any way to use VESA without BIOS ???).

> so I am not sure what to do next.

If the thing really lacks any BIOS: use BOCHS (it does have BIOS).

> MBR allows a chain of infinitely many logical partitions.
> It is just that the MBR allows only 4 primary partitions.

This is not great and increases the risk of partition vanishment or
corruption :-(

--