Hi,

On 7/17/11, Jim Hall <jh...@freedos.org> wrote:

>>> The provox screen reader for dos which I would like to have added to
>>> the freedos ftp site is currently located at:
> [...]
>>> Included with this zip file is the a86 assembler used to compile
>>
>> Just for the record, A86 is shareware, so in theory it's fine
>> including it (though obviously NASM would be better).
>
> Actually, we include only a very few non-Free programs in the FreeDOS
> distribution. Shareware is not "Free" because you cannot modify it and
> you cannot distribute it freely to others. Most shareware programs
> require that you not break up their package and include it with
> something else, and/or that you may only distribute the program in the
> unmodified/original form. A86 specifically states this in their
> documentation: (A01.DOC)

My point wasn't that you would actually prefer to redistribute it,
rather that since it's "shareware", it's most definitely legal to do
so. Yes, I know FreeDOS prefers "free/libre"!

>>This package is provided to you under the following conditions:
>>
>>1. You may copy the A86Vxxx.ZIP and D86Vxxx.ZIP files, and give
>>   them to anyone who accepts these terms.  The copies you
>>   distribute must be complete and unmodified.  You do not have
>>   to be registered to distribute this package.

I would blindly assume he meant "don't hack the binaries" more than
splitting up the .ZIPs.

> So unless Provox has permission somewhere (and I didn't see a file
> indicating as much, but maybe I missed it) then this is already in
> violation of A86, because A86 is not distributed as the original ZIP
> files.

It's got a few other A86 files in there. It *could* be complete, but I
didn't bother checking. Well, we'd have to find "stock" 3.22 first!

http://www.atari-portfolio.co.uk/library/language/a86v322.zip
http://www.eji.com/a86/index.htm    (latest 4.05 from 2000)

Well, it's mostly there, perhaps forgot D.EXE (debugger), but
otherwise mostly seems there.

> Also note this from A01.DOC:
>
>>5. Only permanent registered users can sell or distribute any
>>   programs that you have written or modified using this
>>   assembler.  If you do sell or distribute such programs, you
>>   must insure that your registered name (company or individual)
>>   will always be distributed with the program, so that I can
>>   verify your registration.  Any individual or company found to
>>   be violating these terms will be liable for triple
>>   registration fees for every machine they own capable of
>>   running my assembler (plus any legal and court costs).

Note that I too find this pretty restrictive, but indeed he is trying
to make a living. Still seems a bit harsh. But I contacted him a few
years ago, and he indicated that he had never gone after anybody yet
(and I presume he wouldn't dream of it for non-commercial use like
Provox).

> That seems very clear. While the documentation appears to indicate
> that a private individual may use the unregistered A86 to compile
> Provox, that same unregistered individual cannot distribute it to
> others. Only someone who has registered the A86 program may share
> their A86-built programs with others. Reading this closely, programs
> like Provox that are built using the A86 assember may only be
> distributed by people who have registered A86. (IANAL) Else, there's a
> monetary penalty clause. This makes it impossible for us to include
> this version of Provox (which is built using A86) with the FreeDOS
> distribution.

Don't worry, Travis' previous email already says he's a registered user.

> So Provox would need to be assemble-able using a different, free
> assember such as NASM before we could include it with FreeDOS.
>
> Sorry.

I have some limited experience translating between assemblers, so even
this isn't unfeasible. It's far from impossible here, but I don't
think it's necessary (see above).

However, DTC.LIB doesn't seem to have sources, but I'm not sure what
exactly that does or if it's needed or what the deal is, so we'll have
to wait for Travis to explain that. (Perhaps that is the optional
hardware synthesizer part??)