Hi,

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 10:17 AM, Ralf A. Quint <free...@gmx.net> wrote:
> At 04:20 AM 9/16/2011, Aitor SantamarĂ­a wrote:
>>
>>I was precisely wondering these days about RBIL itself, do you know if
>>Ralf Brown is already working on future versions, or has definitely
>>stopped working on it? (in case you have contacted him already). Posts
>>here in the past seemed to suggest (IIRC) that there actually was a
>>lot of work to be done and info to be inserted there from various
>>sources and contributos were welcome.

Right, I always heard it was in need of a minor update with more to
add or correct (esp. by Matthias Paul), but apparently that never
happened. Well, it's not impossible, just very unlikely after 10
years.   :-/    Then again, C99 and C1x ....   ;-)

These days Ralf seems to be still active in other areas, but
apparently only on other projects:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~ralf/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cmu-ebmt/files/
http://sourceforge.net/users/ralfbrown

However, I have no reason to waste his time, so I won't.    :-)

> I think that Matthias mentioned long time ago
> that some updates would/could be forthcoming, but
> he has refrained from actively participating here
> probably as long as I have, probably for similar reasons...

Dunno. He hasn't been active in a long time, at least not publicly,
and his website is quite outdated. He never finished a lot of things.
(Sounds like most of us, heh.) He's probably just busy with real life,
dunno, haven't ever really contacted him, IIRC.

He's obviously a very savvy and smart guy, so his input would be nice!
But yeah, I guess he's got better things to do with his time. He was
heavily involved in DR-DOS back in the day, but am I correct in
understanding that he cooperated a bit with FreeDOS too? (e.g. various
technotes)

Anyways, the most recent mention I had found of him was here (Dec. 2007):

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/109018-windows-98-in-dr-dos/

>>I don't know what those sources would be, I have always wished there
>>was more useful information on topics like VxD API functions, printer
>>codes or such. And even a completely different reference but that
>>would be useful (and not DOS related, or maybe yes), the DLL functions
>>in the different Windows DLLs across times, something that you can
>>hardly find out in books like "Undocumented Windows" and such...
>
> I think that would be largely beyond the scope of
> an "Interrupt" list, even considering that for a
> long time additional info like memory locations and port info was included.
> There hasn't been any updates on DOS for longer
> than there haven't been any on RBIL, so I don't
> see why someone would seriously expect more recent releases.

I find this hard to believe, but I guess? I can see what you're
saying. "DOS" to most people means "MS-DOS", which is indeed long
dead.

I guess it would be more crucial if there was a portable (a la POSIX)
standard for DOS.   ;-))
Considering all the variants out there, it's not the worst idea in the
world (IMHO)!

> RBIL just as it is, is still a very valuable
> resource for anyone seriously interested in DOS
> related programming, but it seems the number of
> people still interested (for real) in this is far
> less than the number of updates for RBIL...

To each his/her own ....