Harold (AKA Mercury Thirteen) and I have been discussing creating a FreeDOS
1.2 distribution. He's volunteered to put together the new distribution. I
thought we should share that with freedos-devel to see if anyone else wants
to help with this!

FreeDOS 1.2 is planned to be a refresh to FreeDOS 1.1, using updated
packages, although it will also use a new version of the installer and a
simplified install process.

My thoughts for the simpler installation process:

1. *Boot the FreeDOS Install CDROM.* This is basically a "live" FreeDOS,
which happens to boot into an automated install process.
- If you Exit the process at any time, you go back to a DOS prompt. (This
is useful for people who just want to run FreeDOS from CD without
installing it.)

2. *Does the C: drive exist?*
- If not, prompt the user to run FDISK. Reboot to re-read the partition
table.

3. *Is the C: drive usable?*
- If not, prompt the user to run FORMAT.

4. *Start the INSTALL program.*
- This installs everything, using the new install program.

5. *Run SYS to make the C: drive bootable.*

6. *Do any follow-up steps* (such as creating a default CONFIG.SYS and
AUTOEXEC.BAT, set language, etc).

7. *Done*

I had started work on the new install program a while back, but stopped
development before it was fully ready. The latest code is in SVN on our
SourceForge project. I'll see if I can update it for FreeDOS 1.2, although
helpers are welcome!

If you would like to help put together the FreeDOS 1.2 distribution, please
email Harold at Mercury Thirteen <mercury0x0...@gmail.com>