> [...]
> > My thoughts for the simpler installation process:
> >
> > 1. *Boot the FreeDOS Install CDROM.* This is basically a "live" FreeDOS,
> > which happens to boot into an automated install process.
>
> Or install USB stick, of course! On most systems, you
> could unzip all packages into a ramdisk to get full
> functionality.

Yes, as I mentioned elsewhere in this discussion:

*I haven't tried putting the FreeDOS 1.1 installer on a USB fob drive, but
it would probably work if the ISO image was written using liveusb-creator.*
*https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/
<https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/>*

> Having all packages fully installed on
> CD would make the CD too big. It would be nice to have
> some choices here: For example on old systems, do not
> do the ramdisk step. A set of "equivalents of all the
> tools coming with MS DOS" would be only a few megabyte
> in pre-installed form on the CD, while other, bigger,
> packages would not be available until you unzip them
> to ramdisk or harddisk or USB.

I think "too big" is relative here. The fd11src.iso is less than 40MB,
which is still quite small. The Fedora 21 Workstation install DVD image is
1.4GB.

I think the option of having a "live" image of FreeDOS would be very
helpful for many people, as you could boot FreeDOS without having to
actually install it. We've needed to do that in our offices a few times
(boot FreeDOS without installing) and I imagine many others have done the
same.

> There could also be an alternate, bigger, download of
> a CD which has all the packages pre-installed "live",
> but with no or with a different install process as it
> will not contain zips to install from. I would vote
> for NO install process in that variant - it is safer.
>
> As a third download, there could be some tool which
> puts DOS on your USB disk or stick directly, for use
> with for example a few popular Windowses and Linuxes.

I'm not convinced that having two "versions" of FreeDOS 1.2 would be
helpful to people. From our FreeDOS 1.0 download stats, when we had fdbase
and fdfull, most people downloaded fdfull anyway, since that had all the
utilities and everything on it. With FreeDOS 1.2, I want to make things
simple for people who want to download and use FreeDOS. I think a single
image is the best way to do that. At install-time, you can decide if you
want to install everything (or just BASE) and if you want to include source
code. But one install image would make things simpler. And FreeDOS isn't
that big anyway.