I wonder if it's even physically possible to sue FreeDOS because it doesn't
exist as a legal organization.

----- Oorspronkelijk bericht -----

Van: "Teddy T." <t3...@hotmail.com>
Aan: "Technical discussion and questions for FreeDOS developers."
<freedos-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
Verzonden: Donderdag 26 maart 2015 07:08:15
Onderwerp: Re: [Freedos-devel] FW: FreeDOS compatibility issue according to
Asus

Hi Eric,

Ok for boot virus, we're not concerned because of the way we use our PCs but
yes other "standard" customers could be.
We don't complain for the default boot option 1 to be the HDD, but we complain
about those Asus ROG laptops not to be able to switch to the HDD if it's boot
option 2 while boot option 1 is an empty ODD.
And all the PCs probably had floppy and then ODD as default because it was
easier to reinstall or boot specific software in the past, I don't know.

Loosing 2-3 seconds on boot just because it will check the ODD is really not a
problem with those PCs that take less than 5 seconds to boot. Maybe because it
boots on a SSD, maybe because it's boot is in a hurry as you say, but really it
could take 10 seconds to boot it would still be fine.
Anyway, so far I always had ODD as boot option 1 on all of my PCs and I used to
self then in very good condition 5-7 years after I purchase them, but maybe I
was lucky to have resistant ODD.
If only we had at least 2 seconds to press a key to get boot menu on startup,
it would at least be half acceptable.

Asus... smarter bios... so far I shouldn't take the example of their
technicians to guess what is the definition of smart for Asus... But yes if
they were lazzy they could have just removed the possibility to create a boot
options list.

About "sueing" FreeDOS, I know that when they have procecutions, many big
compagnies try to blame and "transfer" the procecution to smaller compagnies.
For example when a plane crash and customer ask for money, the big company
usually put the blame on the technicians sub-contractors or else and force them
to take the fault and pay the customers.

We really have no idea how to "push" Asus to create a patch for it's BIOS
except with a legal action... any suggestion ? Because it's the first thing we
asked and their first answer was "We Asus decided to do it that way so we don't
consider there's a problem".
Of course it was before we proved there was one, and then they decided that yes
but the fault was on FreeDOS. Very honest and professional...

Regards.