Hi,

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 1:17 PM, Mercury Thirteen
<mercury0x0...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm still reviewing the packages to ensure they're all open source
> compliant.
>
> What are we considering acceptable in this regard? Are we going only with
> software which has been made available under one of the GNU licenses
> exclusively? Obviously programs which are free but have no source available
> should be excluded (e.g. Pegasus) but if the source code is freely available
> and/or public, yet not explicitly released under the GPL, does this also
> suffice for inclusion?

Mercury, I'm sure we all appreciate your work here. It's very tedious
and difficult, so any efforts from you are very welcome. However, I've
not even downloaded your archive myself. Too exhausting, especially
trying to vet thousands of files and licenses.

Long story short: I'm pretty sure Jim Hall (as official project head)
only wants "free/libre", aka four freedoms. Which here, at least,
means only stuff that is 100% approved by FSF or OSI, if at all
possible.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html
http://opensource.org/licenses/category

Honestly, it's almost a lost battle. Without many active maintainers
of various programs, there's not much else we can do. So we can't
relicense anything. We can only rewrite key pieces (unlikely) or
remove them entirely (painful).

This is why it's probably best to keep to a minimum, at first, and
expand upon it later, instead of including everything and the kitchen
sink.