Hi FreeDOS-ers,

> We could undercut the competition and make our own free FAT
> implementation which does fills the same niche as exFAT.

Extremely unlikely to succeed! For example OGG Vorbis audio
works very well and is free but still companies rather pay
to license MP3. On Sony Smart TV (using Android Linux tech)
you can NOT use OGG in the media player, but it does work
in the image gallery: In other words, in spite of having a
free support in the software, they deliberately removed it
from the media player, only forgot their image viewer :-p

In the case of exFAT, the thing apparently works well, better
than classic FAT32. Plus it ships with millions of cameras,
smartphones and other SDXC enabled software, as well as the
millions of SDXC cards in those devices, which are factory-
formatted to exFAT and (see my original question) might even
get confused when you re-format them to, for example, FAT32.

Of course, nobody stops you from reformatting your storage
to FAT or even ext2/ext3/ext4 or similar filesystems. Well,
apart from your camera or smartphone stopping to support
them in that case, if you are unlucky. Next you could root
those and install Cyanogen or similar OS, but mortals are
not going to take that effort. They will just give you the
SDXC card with their pictures and laugh at you if your VERY
FREE operating system is FREE of the ability to open them.

Regarding Jim's and Bret's comments, I would like to add this:

Remember the old VFAT or "FAT32" discussion. There, in the
end, it turned out that usage was explicitly allowed for a
generic operating system like Linux or DOS!

And remember my original posts in this thread, or to be more
exact, the references from the Wikipedia article about the
licensing issue:

http://sfconservancy.org/news/2013/aug/16/exfat-samsung/

"Conservancy is delighted that the correct outcome has been
reached: a legitimate, full release from Samsung of all
relevant source code under the terms of Linux's license,
the GPL, version 2."

This does not tell whether you might have to pay licensing
fees when using a Linux with that driver for making some
embedded device, but for using it for interoperability in
a general operating system, I would be optimistic. Also,
nothing in the driver seems to talk about it and even in
Ubuntu, you have the driver in official repositories with
no special warnings about needing a license to use them.

While I agree that further information would be welcome,
I am generally optimistic about possibilities for exFAT.

Regards, Eric