On 11/11/2015 18:19, Jerome E. Shidel Jr. wrote:
> I will probably add a pre-built floppy image to my download server
> (http://up.lod.bz)
> at some point.

That would be awesome.

> If FDI uses FDINST remove, how will it be able to tell if it failed to remove
> a package because of an error or if it fails to remove it because it is not
> installed?

The question is - does it need to? :)
The removal action is atomic: it either removes the installed package or
not. So worst case scenario: it fails to remove a package that is
installed. Then, the installation of said package will fail, and that
you will easily catch by looking at the FDINST return code during
'FDINST INSTALL'.

Alternative way would be to check if the package exists or not:
IF EXIST %DOSDIR%\APPINFO\%PKGNAME%.LSM ECHO "Package is installed"

But doing a remove each time won't harm anyway, since it will check the
above condition for you already.

Mateusz