Hi,

> Just thought I'd bring this back up as I am currently working on
> one of the core components to transition it from Borland to OpenWatcom.

> In looking at the code, I noticed that for internationalization,
> the CATS library is used.
right.

so far there's no central, shared source for CATS, but take MORE as an
easy example. the actual source is
  kitten.*
  prf.c
  talloc.c
  tcdummy.c

for best effects, tcdummy.c should be fitted to Watcom as Watcom
probably also has some functions that are - for our needs -
overkill.

> One version of the FDISK source code
> didn't have the source or the library file for CATS.

> So in getting back to this developer studio, it appears obvious the
> previous chain that there was no real agreement on an editor.
editor ???
EDLIN is the official DOS editor ;)

> However, we do have a general agreement on the toolset, primarily
> because the spec says so, that being OpenWatcom C (or C++) and NASM.
Because the spec says so. aha.
unfortunately the spec changes every other year. without much
discussion ...

> LIke I mentioned before, the DOS API is well represented, which
> makes this easy. The next task is the supporting libraries, like CATS for
> example.

> So to take a page from Linux, FreeDOS pretty much includes
> OpenWatcom. It supports the core DOS functions. If a package called
> FreeDOS Build Tools/Headers or whatever was built, what are the
> common 3rd party libraries, such as internationalization, for
> example that we could include to make building (re-building) things easier?

  kitten.*
  prf.c
  talloc.c
  tcdummy.c

are shared between a couple of projects. not much else. RTL comes as
given by the compiler people Borland or Watcom), and not sooo
compatible.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Kind regards
Tom Ehlert
+49-241-79886