>> On Oct 16, 2016, at 11:33 AM, Matej Horvat <matej.hor...@guest.arnes.si>
>> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 16 Oct 2016 16:59:05 +0200, Jerome Shidel <jer...@shidel.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> If the user is in advanced mode OR selects a non-English language, the
>>> installer will prompt for a couple of keyboard settings. US, UK, GR,
>>> GR2, SG, NL, FR and SP.
>>
>> The FreeDOS 1.0 installer offered 85 keyboard layouts. Why stop there?

> Mostly, I see no point in offering a keyboard layout for languages that do
> not have translations available for the installer at present. There have only
> been 5 translations provided for the installer. So, for example, I don’t think
> it is very likely that many people will choose English, German, Spanish,
> French, Dutch or Esperanto and be trying to use a Norske keyboard.

I think you don't understand the problem.

most of us nonUS users will be able to use DOS in our native language,
in english, and mostly in spanish, french, ... too.

DIR and friends doesnt't need much of translation.

however using any OS with the wrong keyboard driver is simply shit.

> and be trying to use a Norske keyboard.

it's not trying to use. ist OWNING one.

> Also, limiting the number of available choices will make it easier to
> select the correct layout from the menu. Instead having multiple pages
> of keyboard layout choices. Each of these screens will require translation
> into the appropriate languages.

I start thinking that you are the wrong person to define what FreeDOS 1.2
should look like.

> Finally, I will be using mkeyb to set the keyboard layouts. It only has
> roughly 30 or so languages.

even as author of MKEYB: there is no reason to ignore the other ~60
keyboards that are available in freedos 1.0.

software should become better over time.

> XKEYB is also installed and the user may change over to that for
> more choices.

MAKE IT A SETUP QUESTION. NOT ONLY FOR ADVANCED USERS.

TOM

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Kind regards
Tom Ehlert
+49-241-79886