On Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 2:20 PM, Steve Nickolas <usots...@buric.co> wrote:

> When you've stripped that much out of DOS, you have *nothing*...
>
> Heck, someone was talking about porting FreeDOS to a *6502*, which has access
> to up to 64K of memory and I'd STILL see porting FreeDOS as pie in the sky.
>
> 68000, well you got GEMDOS, and in fact I think FreeDOS' kernel had 68K
> roots, so it's not impossible (besides, you got more address space on a 68K).
>
> -uso.

Correct, the FreeDOS kernel has origins on the Motorola 68k. From Pat
Villani, original author of the FreeDOS kernel:

https://web.archive.org/web/20111012172910/http://opensourcedepot.com:80/DOS/DOS-C.html

In brief:

[..]
NSS-DOS, was completed and demonstrated in 1991. As a result of these
demonstrations, NSS was approached to supply source license for this
operating system by a major defense contractor. The only new
requirement - it had to run on 68K processors.

This presented a new challenge. Due to the MS-DOS model used for the
API, NSS-DOS relied heavily on a segmented architecture. To meet this
challenge, a major redesign of NSS-DOS was undertaken. New proprietary
techniques were developed that allowed the same source to be compiled
on a variety of hosts and with a wide range of compilers. This new
version, DOS/NT, was the result of this new project. The kernel was
redesigned as a micro kernel along with logical separation of the file
system, memory and task managers. A new DOS API was designed along
with a new DOS SDK to guarantee portability. Additionally, all
processor unique code was separated from the core functions. The
result is the highly portable operating system that DOS/NT represents.
[..]

You can also find that text in the free ebook, "23 Years of FreeDOS"
http://www.freedos.org/ebook/

The FreeDOS kernel didn't *originate* on the M68k, but it was ported
there under the name "DOS/NT." Later, Pat ported DOS/NT back to Intel
as the DOS-C kernel, which became the FreeDOS kernel.

Jim