Hi Bret,

> I'm not 100% sure, but this could be (at least indirectly) related
> to the issue I discovered several years ago, where FreeCOM uses
> memory "illegally" while installing (processing CONFIG.SYS and/or
> AUTOEXEC.BAT).  That is, FreeCOM uses a lot of memory that's at the
> top of conventional memory (just below the 640k point), but doesn't
> actually allocate (and thereby "protect") the memory with a Memory
> Control Block (MCB).  As a result, any program that actually tries
> to use that memory will crash the system since it doesn't know that
> FreeCOM is already using it. In my case, I was requesting an MCB at
> the top of conventional memory, and the kernel issued it to me even
> though it shouldn't have because the memory was already being used
> (by the kernel). Again, I don't know if this related to the
> particular problem Matej is having, but it seems like it could be.

IIRC this problem was (is?) a kernel problem, that happens at

  INSTALL=ramdisk.exe

processing (please confirm), not related to FreeCOM.
INSTALL= processing is done by Kernel, not FreeCOM.

this bug is fixed by moving DoInstall from

main.c, line 128

-  DoInstall();

  kernel();
}

main.c, line 493:

  }
  DoInstall();

  init_call_p_0(&Config); /* go execute process 0 (the shell) */
}

Tom

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Kind regards
Tom Ehlert